Please find here 5 quick things you can do to inform yourself on the issue euthanasia and then act;
- Click on the following link and print off the information sheet entitled Canada vs. Carter. Here you will find an overview of the Supreme Court Case that opened the door to assisted death in our country. Review this information to better understand the issue and be able to speak to it in a more informed way. It will also bring you up to date on some of the actions that are being taken by provincial governments related to this matter. Canada Family Action will help you monitor the progress of legislation in your own province however you will want to be as informed as possible when your provincial government opens up the discussion to the public and asks for your input.
- Click on the following link and print off the information sheet entitled, Statistical Data. During the conversation that the country is having related to Euthanasia and Physician Assisted Suicide you will no doubt hear someone say, “Well its working in other countries of the world and they aren’t having any problem with it so why not here?” The truth is however is that it is not ‘working’ in any country of the world that has legalized euthanasia and that innocent people are dying and continue to die as a result. The data on this sheet is from Belgium and will give examples of what can happen when bad laws are written.
- Click on the following link and print off several copies of the Petition on Euthanasia and Physician Assisted Suicide. Circulate the petition and get as many signatures as possible. Send the completed forms to us at the address provided by February 1, 2016. On the petition you will see that we very much want the government to take the appropriate amount of time to consider there legislative options, consult with as many citizens as they can on the issue, protect the vulnerable among us and protect the religious and conscience rights of medical professionals who do not want to provide these ‘services’ to their patients.
- Click on this link to find the contact information for your Member of Parliament and let them know that you signed the petition and want to make sure they know how you feel about the issue. Feel free to share the information you have from Belgium and let them know it is really important to you that vulnerable people like new born babies, person’s with disabilities and the elderly are protected. Let them know that you want them to respect protect the charter right of doctors to say they won’t participate in euthanizing anyone or assisting them in killing themselves. Let them know you don’t want to see anyone in pain but would rather see the government make commitments to increasing palliative care funding instead of legislating a mechanism for people to kill themselves or others in the case of medical professionals.
- And finally, consider partnering with us here at Canada Family Action. We are currently raising funds to host a National Telephone Town Hall on the issue of Physician Assist Suicide. Our goal is to host 200,000 citizens on the call and you can come back and check out our progress here. We are also building a new website offline that will better serve you with more detailed information about the issues we will be talking about on the road ahead. There is much to do but when we work together so much more is possible!
To donate securely online by Paypal or credit card, click here.
To donate by mail, by phone, or by fax, click here.
Like what you read?
Share this page